Friday, January 22, 2016

Week 1 EOC: Great Customer Service

Customer service is a very big deal to me. I will sacrifice cost for better customer service. For example, about ten years ago, I had a scheduled flight with American Airlines and my flight was cancelled due to maintenance. Knowing that these things happen, I remained calm and understanding. Until the airline told me they couldn't get me to my destination until the next day. The service desk was very unsympathetic and left me frustrated. I started calling around, and found out that Southwest Airlines could get me on a flight that day, that cost less than my original ticket, AND they had a direct flight that got me in sooner than my original flight. But most importantly, they were nice to me. Since that day, I refuse to fly with anyone else. I am such a loyal customer, that I won't even compare prices. 

I also know that quality customer service starts with how the company treats it's employees. Apple, Zappos, and Google are known for their great work environments, and it shows. Just walk into an Apple store, and look how happy the employees are. Then go to WalMart and see how those employees act. It's not a coincidence. Furthermore, I would prefer to take my business to the companies that care about the people working for them. I have not been in a WalMart for at least five years. 

I would also like to add that being a good customer is important as well. People know when you are genuine (on both sides of the counter). I have worked in a customer-centric roll my whole life, and I can absolutely tell you that being honest and understanding goes a long way. For instance, if I shoot a wedding, and the bride is terrible, she is going to get exactly what I promise in my wedding packages. However, if the bride is nice, and doesn't try to abuse her vendors, I will usually gift her with a bonus print or canvas of her favorite image. 

1 comment:

  1. Something I’ve never understood is how multibillion dollar companies can treat their customers so poorly and leave them feeling frustrated and agitated. I think you’re absolutely right about customer support and I think that in and of itself is what makes or breaks a business for the long-term. I’ve personally just experienced a horrible customer experience situation and it really turned me cold to the business. I also think you’re right though about being a good customer as well. At the end of the day it’s a two-way street.

    Joey @ Amerika Link

    ReplyDelete